9.01.2010

Summer's over. Time to get back to work.


I'll admit it.  I get a little lazy during the Summer.  It's nice to spend time at the pool and the lake.  Nice to BBQ at will and mix blenders full of daiquiri's. Cold Sauvignon Blancs around the a table full of salads and finger food.  I just wanted to say, "Bye" to Summer with one of my favorite portrait/swimming cross over images.  Jen with goggles.

Done in the studio against a warm, gray backdrop.  One giant softbox to one side (you can see the reflections in her eyes.  And one small softbox gently grading the background.  The long lens on the MF camera does the trick for ultra smooth transistions and, of course, much interpretation in the printing phase.  But the most important piece of equipment in the whole studio was the spritzer bottle filled with warm, warm water.

We're booking up portraits like crazy this Fall and it seems that everyone is looking for beautiful monochromes with delicate tonalities and wonderful eyes.  Fortunately I have that kinda figured out.  I'm pushing hard to do more and more portraits.  Love em.   Daytime, evenings, weekends.  Can't get enough.  But in the studio, mostly.   Not a big fan of shooting in the bluebonnets or with urban alleys in the background.

Remember the motto, "Fun portraits are better portraits."

10 comments:

Hugh Alison said...

Love that foto (loved it last time I saw it).

Got me digging out the Pentax 67 and the Tri-x, even looking at prices of Hasselblads on Ebay (still too much).

Can we have some more details please? I'm guessing Hasselblad, 150mm lens at about 5.6, Tri-x, probably D-76 developer.

Was this scanned from a print?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hugh, You are right on the money. Except I think it was a 180mm. Huge softbox from some company that no longer exists. Back then it was probably Norman strobes throttled down as far as I could get em.

Tyson Habein said...

I've noticed clients looking at a more classic look to portraiture as well. I've even talked to some folks who've shown an interest in having things shot with (gasp!) film. Suits me fine. I'm looking forward to the day I can pull out all the film stuff for a wedding shoot as well.

robert e said...

Stunning! I just can't get over those amazing lashes. Were her hands difficult to print?

daniel said...

Hey Kirk, haven't yet heard of that motto..but am subscribing to it...See you on Saturday.

Ezequiel Mesquita said...

"We're booking up portraits like crazy this Fall..." I`m glad to read that you are getting more and more opportunities to do what you love most. As the saying goes: "Be careful about what you ask for because you'll get it". Yesterday, I`d recall a beautiful swimmer with dripping goggles that haunted me since I first saw her picture, and today I found her! ;-) Thanks for fullfilling my wishes. Keep the good work!

RiverdogsCrossing said...

Love it except for the slight shadow below the chin; would have liked that line to be softened. The water drops really make it fun and fabulous!

Rick Moore said...

I wish I were more comfortable with my B&W conversions. I continue to shy away from the medium because I am not happy with my results.

You are correct Kirk that clients are wandering back to the classic look in portraiture. I am getting requests from hip and sassy high school seniors for the B&W look. That is a change for my southern California crowd. Looks like I have some work ahead of me to up my skill levels again. Film was sure easier.-grin-

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Rick, I have a bunch of good photographer friends who swear by SilvereFx software. It's a Photoshop plugin...

Koert said...

I thought that that was a beautiful photo the first time I saw it and I still think so.
So good luck and lots of fun with all the portraits this fall!