11.17.2010

Portrait of the day.


This is a classic one light portrait in a style I've done for a long time.  I was happy to be able to photography Selena.  She's a musician and an actor.  Very professional and patient.  I used a 4 foot by 4 foot Chimera Panel with a diffusion cloth as close to her as I could get it.  The light comes from a 1,000 bulb, ePhotoInc., LED panel used at full power.

I used a Canon 7D with the 70-200mm L f4.0 zoom lens.  ISO 200.  We went on to shoot other set ups but this was one of my favorites.  Hope everyone is happy and busy.  KT



  

8 comments:

Herman said...

It is so simple, yet it works.
Though I bet you could work a no-lights setup just as well Kirk.

I don't know how you manage the contact with your subjects, but it seems to work quite often.

Alex Solla said...

This may sound stupid, but what holds your diffusion screen the way you have it? Is this a commercial rig or a DIY?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hey Alex, it's what Matthews calls a "Grip Head". Fits on the stand and can clamp up to a 5/8th inch thick frame. Ease off on the pressure and you can position it where you want it. Clamp down and it stays! About $25.

Geir said...

Which of your books best show good and simple studio setups that Average Jim can use? I'm looking for an intro book for my photo students, and it's hard to find the right book among the Qudaruppamillions of books about lighting out there. This setup is a very good excample of what I'm looking for.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Geir,

I think the second book, Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Studio Photography, is perfect for students learning to light in the studio.

Thank you for considering it!

Dan Berry said...

Kirk
I have just finished reading your entire blog. Thank you for putting my thoughts and fears into words. Your writing is clear lucid and to the point.As I to am reinventing myself it is very helpful to read of how you are doing it.Some of your portraits stopped me dead in my tracks. again thank you

Bill said...

Is the backdrop gray seamless, or a very smooth muslin? I've never seen muslin so wrinkle-free!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Gray paint on a wooden wall.