5.13.2016

Images from my coverage of the Keller Williams RED DAY event. Shot with the three different Sony sensor format cameras. And a small smattering of lenses. Click to enlarge.

A7R2 w/24-70mm
A subset of the KW in-house video crew.

I have written, yesterday and today, tangentially, about my photo assignment to document a day of community service by a company. With permission to use some of the images from the shoot in hand I thought I would show a range of shots taken over the course of the day, along with some camera information; just to  give an idea of the scope of the project. Plus it's always fun (at least I think it is) to see what the real versus imagined differences are between cameras. Different end targets will demand different levels of quality but...if you click on these images and look at the bigger versions at least you will see what the three different cameras look like at 2200 pixels wide on the long end. 

The client was real estate company, Keller Williams. Here's how their company describes yesterday's event: "Inaugurated in 2009, RED Day (Renew, Energize and Donate) is Keller Williams Realty’s annual, company-wide day of community service. Keller Williams associates are asked to “give where they live” and dedicate a day to renewing and energizing the communities they serve."

To recap: There were about 200 volunteers (here in Austin; thousands more across the country) doing things as diverse as fixing up a playground, reading and recording books onto video for hospital bound kids, painting and repairing schools; donating, labeling and shelving books for school libraries, reading to elementary school classes and even putting on a comedy/drama (with five live shows) for the entire third grade of an elementary school. My role was to be a visual documentarian of the day. To do that I used three different cameras and two different, interchangeable lenses. The cameras were: The RX10iii, the a6300 and the A7R2; all current Sony products. The lenses were the Zeiss 24/70mm f4.0 and the Sony 18-105mm f4.0 G lens. The fixed lens on the RX10iii covers angles of view corresponding to 24mm-600mm (yummy!).

A7R2 w/24-70mm

A7R2 w/24-70mm
Chris, the CEO, reading for the camera.

A7R2 w/24-70mm @1250 ISO
Checking in books and labeling them.

A7R2 in crop mode @5000 ISO
The "Hero" of the school plays!

A7R2 in crop mode @1600 ISO
A quick look at the corporate messaging.

A7R2 in crop mode @5000 ISO
The dramatic comedy team at Perez Elementary School.

A6300 + 18-105 @2000 ISO
CEO being interviewed by local media.

A6300 + 18-105 @2000 ISO
Pre-kickoff orientation meeting (with real breakfast tacos).

A6300 + 18-105 @2000 ISO

A6300 + 18-105 @2000 ISO

A6300 + 18-105 @2000 ISO

A6300 + 18-105 @2000 ISO

A7R2+24/70mm @ 1600
One of the youngest volunteers sorting books at BookSpring 

A7R2+24/70mm @ 1600

A6300+18/105mm @4000 ISO

A6300+18/105mm @4000 ISO

RX10iii. 
Fixing up the playground at an early childhood development center.

RX10iii. 

RX10iii. 

RX10iii. 

RX10iii. 

RX10iii. 

RX10iii. 

RX10iii. 

RX10iii. 

RX10iii. 

RX10iii. @ISO 2000
Back to the drama at Perez Elementary.

RX10iii. @ISO 2000
The angst of possibly having to cancel Summer vacation.

RX10iii. @ISO 2000

RX10iii. @ISO 2000

RX10iii. @ISO 4000
At the breakfast launch. Me just showing off the AWB and ISO 4000 performance (under insanely mixed lighting---) with the RX10iii.

A7R2+24/70mm ISO 800
I've never yet met a photographer who looked forward to making group shots. 
The A7R2 did nicely for me. It's a tight squeeze but no one is puffing out at the corners....

These kinds of jobs require me to mix with CEOs and other corporate people, become one with the bigger corporate team, and also get by to a number of schools, and other institutions, and to do it without drawing too much attention to myself. I want to make everyone comfortable and happy in front of the camera; at least as much as is possible. The rest of the time I want to hide behind my cloak of invisibility which is most easily done by being right in the middle of things. 

I had an absolute blast. While the RX10iii can't match the other two cameras for high ISO it does quite well in the lower ranges and I'd be comfortable using it in jobs like this all the way out to 1600. If your final target is the web you can get away with higher ISOs but you can't always go to 100% magnifications and not see some real noise reduction going on. I set the camera to High Iso Noise Reduction: Standard because I knew the images would look fine for my client's intended use (web P.R.---team building). In fact, the images from the smallest sensor camera might have looked better if I had turned down the noise reduction and dealt with it in post, but the only people who will notice that difference are other photographers peeking too closely behind the curtain. 

Remember, you can click the images to see them larger.  

5 comments:

James Pilcher said...

Wow, Kirk. That RX10III looks ridiculously good. ISO 2000 on a 1 inch sensor? I cannot believe how nice the images are. Or was that purely the photographer?

I do not believe ISO 2000 looks that good on my 16mp Olympus ยต4/3 camera. Bravo for Sony.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

James, I think the RX10s, as a family, are the most misunderstood and underrated cameras on the market today. I love all three of them. But the third version is nothing short of amazing. And we've barely begun to plumb the video capabilities.

tnargs said...

The colour of their matching T-shirts varies a lot throughout the images in this article?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Tend to go orange under fluorescents and sodium. I could correct them all for you....but...

Anthony Bridges said...

I've shot several hundred people at once volunteering for the Komen Race in Plano, TX the last 5 years. It helps to have a loud voice. And, for me, it helps that I have a naturally goofy demeanor. :)

I dug all the photos especially the group shot. For charity events I come to expect the big group photo. It shows unity.