7.20.2017

I tried to put into words the "personality" of some older lenses I was using; maybe photos are worth thousands of inaccurate words...



Yesterday, in a blog I wrote, I was trying to describe the difference in the look and visual "personality" of a set of older Olympus Pen FT lenses. Lenses from the late 1960s and early 1970s. As I swam this morning I wondered to myself, "Why talk about it? Just show some images!" So here are a dozen images from the shoot I did on Tues. evening at a Zach rehearsal of "Million Dollar Quartet." They were shot in a 16:9 aspect ratio so I can slip them into video without cropping. All shot with a Panasonic G85 camera and mostly with the 60mm f1.5 and 40mm f1.4 lenses. 

These were not made as "standalone" images for public relations or marketing but I'm sharing them here so you can see what I mean when I talk about a "rounded" sort of sharpness or a richer color palette. I guess it's all subjective. I hope Google's Blogger doesn't compress these in a ham-fisted fashion. Ah well, back to the edit...












6 comments:

Bruce Bodine said...

Really nice Kirk, love the rich tones and warmth.

MikeR said...

One word, not typically used in discussing lenses: Pretty

Edward Richards said...

Spherical aberration? I have some old, fast Nikon lenses - 35 f1.4 AIS and 55 f1.2 - that I know have spherical aberrations and also have that same wonderful quality.

Eric Rose said...

Man I would love to have the 5th image as my desktop on my MBP 15". I was a sound guy for bands years ago. Lots of memories. And I even remember some of them ;)

Craig Yuill said...

These are nice photos, proving that (some) older lenses can still be used to create great photos.

I am excited to read that these are from a dress rehearsal of Million Dollar Quartet. My wife and I went to this a couple of months ago. Great entertainment! You will really enjoy the musical when it starts running. Try to take in a show where you can just enjoy the performances, and are not concentrating on taking photos.

atmtx said...

I really like the closeups of the microphones. Especially the first, golden one.